Saturday, October 27, 2012

Technical Problems (And How I Dealt With Them)

You guys are probably wondering what's up.  It's been a quiet week here--I had a Waiting on Wednesday post for Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill post but that came down, and then Thursday morning you couldn't access my blog with Google Chrome because a warning message came up saying that my blog linked to a site known for distributing malware. Well, I've fixed the problem, and I want to explain how I did it in case any of you encounter it as well.

Like I said, I didn't post this much this past week. I spent last weekend with my relatives and wound up with a stomach/flu-like bug Sunday afternoon.  Monday I was well enough to make the 2.5 hour drive home, but felt so awful that as soon as I arrived, I got straight into bed.  I worked on some posts Tuesday but only had time to get the WoW post up.  Someone pointed out that my blog was fine Tuesday morning but not Wednesday morning, which is why it come down.

In the end, Google Chrome was right--I did have a link that led to a suspicious site.  However, I couldn't find it at first.  Jamie and Nicole both suggested cleaning out the spam filter of my comments, so I started with that, in addition to deleting the WoW post. When that didn't work, I started poking around my dashboard.  No alerts had popped up, but I saw that you could request a malware review from Google, so I thought about doing that, but the option wasn't listed.  I started Googling how to request a malware review, when I stumbled across this thread.  It told me that sometimes Blogger doesn't pick up with malware or other problems on Blogger, and suggested running one's blog through Redleg's Blogspot/Blogger Tool.  Right away, the tool showed me where the bad link was in bright red lettering so I was able to go in and fix it.  Unfortunately, the link had somehow gotten in with the button that led to my blog's Facebook page.  I wasn't able to figure out how to get rid of the link without deleting the whole button, so that's gone for now. Fear not, though, I plan on restoring it soon. 

I hope this post anyone who has the same problem I did but can't figure out what's wrong.  It took me all day, but I'm glad it's resolved.  Until next time, happy reading and blogging!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info! A couple of other blogs I visit had this problem and Chrome completely terrified me with the warning. Now I know what to do if this happens to me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Ads Inside Post